Wednesday, October 15, 2014

TheSkimm: A Great Resource for College Students

Happy Wednesday everyone!

I don't know about you, but I have a lot on my plate right now. I have two big midterms coming up on Friday, and I'm still not even finished with the reading for one of the classes. And then of course is homework and stuff for other classes, and a meeting to go to for one of the organizations I'm involved in. So to say the least, these next couple days are going to be long ones. 

Anyway, enough about me, I wanted to talk to you about a great resource for college students (or people of any age) called TheSkimm. For those of you who haven't heard of it, TheSkimm is an free email newsletter that is sent out Monday-Friday giving little blurbs about current events. Each newsletter is short and to the point, and the way TheSkimm lays out its content makes it interesting to read. 



As a college student, sometimes it's hard to keep up with what's going on with the world around us, and often times we don't have time to watch the news or tune in to see what's going on. When current events are sometimes brought up in class or by our peers, it can be a little awkward if we are hearing about things for the first time through them. 

For me, I'm in a Global Politics class where current events are talked about all the time, so it's been really nice getting to read a little bit about current events through TheSkimm before class. I usually find time to read the TheSkimm on my phone when I'm waiting in line at the coffee shop every morning, or even when I get to class early.

It never hurts to stay on top of what's happening in the world, so if you would like to sign up, there's a link up above. If you're not sure you'd want to sign up or not, feel free to check out today's Skimm (for Oct. 15) here.

I initially found out about this news resource from a girl I went to high school with, who also goes to the same college as me. She's a year ahead, so she's given me some great tips for college, such as telling me about theSkimm. 

Reading TheSkimm everyday and keeping up to date on current events really helped her in the long run, like earlier this year when she attended one of our college's internship fairs for the business school. While at the internship fair, she ran into some representatives from a company she had read about earlier that week in TheSkimm, who just underwent some great company merger. While talking to the reps, she mentioned what she had read about their company on TheSkimm, and they were really impressed. 

So honestly, you never know when you might need to know a thing or two about current events, and it never hurts to be informed, either! Whether you try it out or not, let me know what you think about it in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!

*This post was not sponsored. These are just my own, honest opinions.

1 comment:

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear from you! ♥