Monday, June 30, 2014

My College Orientation Experience

There are only 48 days left until I move into my college dorm room in Columbus, Ohio. Right now, I'm at the point where half of me can't contain my excitement, while the other half of me is terrified. I know most incoming college freshman deal with these mixed feelings, but it's starting to really sink in for me.

I just got back from my freshman orientation, and let me tell you, it was quite an experience. My orientation lasted two days, with the option of staying overnight. The first day was made up of breaking into small groups with the other incoming freshman, while parents went to there own separate information panels. In my group, we had to do a lot of awkward icebreakers, and we listened to our orientation leader talk about anything ranging from student life to talking about what there is to do in Columbus. Everyone in my orientation group was in the same scholars program I'm in, and since we have to live together in the same dorm, it was really nice to meet some of them! I did connect well with some of the girls in my group which was good!

I signed up to stay overnight in one of the dorms that night and go to the evening activities my school had offered, but at the end of that first day I decided not to because although my orientation experience was fine, I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information I was being given and all the new people I met. So instead of staying the night, my parents took be out to a Mexican restaurant just down the street from campus. The food there was pretty great, I might add. Then I went back my Grandparents' house for the night, which is just about a half hour from Columbus.

The second day was basically just meeting with an adviser and making my schedule for the fall semester. Right now I'm not too happy with my schedule, but luckily it's still subject to change when AP scores arrive in a couple of weeks.

I didn't have time to take very many photos during orientation, but here are some of the ones I did take:

This first picture is of me at Buckeye Grove, a short pathway with lots of Buckeye trees near the west side of campus.

Next is a couple of pics of Ohio Stadium, otherwise known as "The Shoe." Pictures of the Shoe are pretty much obligatory if you visit Ohio State's campus, since football is such a big thing at Ohio State. The first pic was taken from the 12th floor of Morrill Tower (one of the residence halls), so sorry about the dirty window getting in the way of the picture!




The next couple pictures are of the Thompson Library, the main and biggest library on campus. It's too bad I didn't get any pictures of the inside of the library, because it looks pretty cool! But if you're wondering what the big green space is in the picture below, it's what Ohio State calls "The Oval."


And for the next picture, yes, I'm going to be that freshman.


So that's all I have about my orientation. As I'm writing this, there's a big thunderstorm in my area right now, so hopefully there won't be too much damage!

Talk to you soon,

♥ Colleen

1 comment:

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear from you! ♥