Thursday, August 7, 2014

6 Tips & Tricks For Applying to College

Welcome to post #2 of my little High School Series. If you missed post #1 about the Top 10 Things I Wish I Knew In High School, check it out here!

Since I'm just entering my freshman year of college and have recently been through the college admissions process, I wanted this next post in my high school series to be on tips and tricks that I would've found helpful in applying to college. So if you're getting ready to apply to colleges either this year or the next couple of years, you've come to the right place! And even if you've been through the college admissions process already, you can feel free to share any of your own tips or experiences in the comments below! :)


It's easier for me to do this in list form, so here goes:

1. Start Early

Seriously. If you don't read any of my other advice in this post, PLEASE follow this one! It's important to start early in visiting colleges and doing research on schools so that come senior year, you have an idea of colleges you want to apply to. It also helps to start early when applying to colleges. Once you've come upon your senior year of high school and are starting to apply to colleges, make sure you know when the deadlines are for each school's application. Although many school's applications have a priority deadline of November 1st, some school's have a different deadline (so make sure to do your research). This means that you don't want to wait until midway through October to start your applications, essays, and asking for teacher recommendations. You want to start as early as you can, so if somehow there's a glitch and the applications website is down, your high school forgot to send your transcript, or any other unforeseen event happens, you won't be stuck and you'll have time to fix it. This happened to a girl in my AP Gov class senior year, who applied to one of the same school's I had applied to. We both got in and everything, but the thing was, there was a delay in her transcript being sent so although she had her actual application in by Nov. 1st, the school declared her application as not being fully complete by the priority deadline. This meant losing out on a $14,000 automatic academic scholarship for out-of-state students that she could have gotten if she had everything in by Nov. 1st. So what I'm trying to say is, make sure you start on your applications as soon as possible during senior year so that you don't run into any issues. 

2. Write down your passwords!!
If you're applying to several colleges like I had, it's important to write down your log in passwords for each online application you fill out. Each school is different, but for many of my online college applications, colleges had a multitude of requirements for creating a password. Due to these various requirements for creating a password, I had to create new passwords for myself that were pretty difficult to remember. Since I was the first one of my siblings to apply to colleges, I didn't think to write my passwords down. I ended up forgetting them a lot and having to reset them. However, on one of applications, there was a limit on how many times you could reset your password, and I ended up having to call that college for help since I couldn't log in to check my application's status. And I have to admit, it was pretty embarrassing...so don't make the same mistake I did!

3. Apply to a safety school
What I mean by applying to a safety school is to make sure you apply to a school you like, and that you're almost positive you'll get into. That way, if all else fails and the unexpected happens where you don't get into some colleges, you won't be stuck. 

4. Have someone read over your essays
I had my Mom read over my college application essays, and I'm really glad I did! She caught some mistakes in them that I hadn't noticed. Be sure to have someone read over your essays, whether it be by a parent, a teacher, or a friend. It's good to have another set of eyes read your essays so that you can make sure your essays are the best they can be! On a college visit I went to, one of the college admissions counselors there told us about several mistakes they have seen in application essays. For one of them, a guy was supposed to write an essay on what he wanted to be when he grew up. And in the essay, the boy said that all his life he wanted to be a couch. Although he probably meant "coach" the admissions counselor said that she and her colleagues got a good chuckle out of that one (and she later said that no, the boy did not get accepted). Although the essays aren't everything and most colleges try to use a holistic view of you, don't make awkward mistakes in your essays that could have been avoided if you had someone look over your work.

5. Be patient

Especially if you had your application sent in early, it can take a few months to hear back on your decision. I know it's hard to wait, but don't waste your time thinking about everything college when you should be enjoying your last year of high school. College will come sooner than you know it, so take the time after you have finished all of your college applications to just relax and enjoy your senior year. Also, do yourself a favor and avoid sites like College Confidential. I know you may want to read what other people who applied to the same college you did have to say, and read when everyone the previous year heard their admissions decisions. But please avoid yourself the annoyance. A lot of people post their stats (like ACT score, GPA, and a list of like 15 clubs they were ever remotely involved in) and ask others if they think that they would get in to whatever college. When you read these things, you might start to doubt whether you will get into so and so college. But don't doubt yourself. Again, most colleges use a holistic view, and even so, who knows whether these people who post their stats are even being truthful. Whatever will happen will happen, so be patient for your decision and don't let others cause you to doubt yourself.

6. Remember: Everything happens for a reason
Throughout the whole College Admissions process, please remember that everything happens for a reason. Many people have a first choice school that they've dreamed about going to all their lives, and don't get in. It happens, and it's a fact of life. But the good thing is, even if you don't get into your first choice school, there is another college out there that is meant for you. And I can guarantee you, you'll end up where you are supposed to be. 

For me, I was lucky enough to get into all 5 Big 10 colleges I applied to and I was pretty set on one of those schools ever since I was little. My Dad had went to grad school there, and each summer since I was real little, we'd visit. It had a really pretty campus, and I was already accustomed to the school's traditions. Although I got in to that school, there was no way I could afford it. It was an out-of-state school that didn't have very many scholarships to give, so I wasn't able to go there. But the funny thing this, I think because I was so set on my first choice school, I really didn't give the other 4 schools a chance. 

It's ironic actually, on how I came to choose Ohio State. I had applied to the 4 other schools way back in September (2013) of my senior year, but didn't apply to Ohio State. The first time I visited, I thought it was wayyy to big, and it was a little bit overwhelming (I visited back in April 2013). But in about mid-October (2013), I had this inkling that I should apply to one more school. I talked about it with my parents, and they both suggested that I apply to Ohio State since it was a good school and it was near where my Dad's side of the family lived in Ohio. So I ended up applying to Ohio State a little late, but still before the Nov. 1st deadline. 

And it's all down hill from there. I finally realized how much opportunity I would have at Ohio State, from the Scholars program I'm in, to getting direct admit into the business school, to possibly being able to graduate in 3 years (due to AP credit). When I visited again in March 2014, I fell in love with the school. Not only was Ohio State known for good academics, but I also loved the huge amount of school spirit at OSU, and how everywhere you went in Ohio, there seemed to be die-hard Buckeye fans. And the next day after my visit, during the 7-hour drive home from Ohio State, I remember saying to my Mom that day that I finally decided on Ohio State. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to broadcast for OSU. The point is, I just want you to realize that even if things don't pan out with your initial first choice school, it's okay. There's another school out there for you, and you'll end up where you're supposed to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And those are my 6 Tips and Tricks For Applying to College. If you're in high school now, I hope this helps! If your're beyond your high school years, would these tips have been helpful? Or do you have any other experiences or tips to add?

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear from you! ♥